Friday, October 5, 2007

Damn

This is something I've written about in the past: a person's ability to be objective when approaching a problem of someone else's.

I'm not against people disagreeing with me. No, I do not believe that if we are friends, you must agree with everything I have to say, and vice versa. But I do EXPECT for anyone I consider close enough to share my problems with, to listen as objectively as possible. That means, to see that situation from as many sides as is possible. That means, don't come from a personal place when expressing your opinion, unless I am asking you to come from a personal place. That means, don't attack me as if I am attacking you, simply because you have already chosen to sypmathize with a specific side, for personal reasons that are not founded on the facts. How about asking for the facts?

As for me, I make every attempt to do this. If I know that someone else's problem hits too close to home for me, I'll tell them, "look, my opinion is probably biased, but...."

Someone, who may or may not read this, really annoyed me just now, when I told them my daughter's father said I was being an asshole (because I asked him [in a non-accusatory way] if he can start giving me money towards our child now that he is working). Then I told my friend, "I can't believe he called me an asshole." This friend has the audacity to argue with me over the technicality of being called an asshole and being accused of being an asshole.

Que?

At this point, it doesn't matter whether I am right or wrong in believing being called an asshole and being accused of acting like one are one in the same----- I'm hurt that the word was even used in reference to me, period.

No comments:

Blog Archive